I liked it.
More than I thought I would.
I get ideas about cities. I know, I know – that’s wrong. You shouldn’t formulate an opinion about a place before you’ve even visited. My favorite show right now is called Scrotal Recall. That revelation alone means that I should know better than to judge something before I have all the facts.
(Also, check out the show. It’s really, really good, despite the name.)
But Austin surprised me. We weren’t there long – just for a weekend jaunt last month, but it was enough to enjoy the sun and listen to the thunder and eat barbecue until we could barely move. Here are a few shots from our trip. It was an effort to not make every one a picture of either food or Rand. Success was middling.
- Rand, giving me a total come hither look, while we had a snack at the Taco Flats food truck.–
- Rand and me, in front of the iconic I Love You So Much mural. Ignore my seafoam green pants. IGNORE MY SEAFOAM GREEN PANTS. (I make a lot of strange decisions when shopping at Anthropologie. I think because it smells so good in there, I get disoriented.)–
- Tree creature street art, found near South 1st Street.–
- The Maple-Bacon doughnut at Gourdough’s. (Note: if you want to read more about this doughnut, and you know you do, check out my full write-up.)–
- I think this was the medium-sized platter. I don’t really remember (pork-induced blackout). Dinner at Ruby’s BBQ.–
- I’m calling this photo Crucified Peguin with Blue Dress.–
- SQUIRREL! (Rand and I were both really excited because we don’t get them in this reddish chesnut color up north.)–
- Dia de los Muertos figurines, found in a shop on South Congress.–
- Life imitating art, and all that.